Recipe: Crispy BBQ Fries (Ready In 20-Minutes)
December 10, 2020 / Comments
There are a few standard dishes present at every BBQ, cookout, or backyard gathering. You’ve got your chips and dip, a veggie platter, an assortment of proteins on the grill, a tapestry of side dishes, and of course, fries.
Every cookout has the same boring, bland crinkle-cut fries.
But every memorable cookout has fries that take the culinary experience to the next level. These are those fries.
This crispy BBQ fries recipe is so simple and so delicious, you’ll add it to every backyard BBQ menu from here on out. And, they’re ready in just 20 minutes!
In our recipe guide, we’ll show you:
- 4 tips you need to know before cooking crispy BBQ fries
- Delicious entrees that pair perfectly with our recipe
- How to personalize your BBQ fries
By the end, you’ll be ready to whip up some crispy BBQ fries for your next cookout. Just be prepared, you’ll be bombarded for the recipe after the party!
4 Tips You Need To Know Before Cooking Crispy BBQ Fries
As with any recipe, having a few tips in your apron pocket can make the cooking experience easy and enjoyable.
1. Preheat the Oven While You Prep
Have you ever prepped an entire recipe, followed every instruction, and realized you forgot to preheat the oven when all is said and done? Frustrating, isn’t it?
Now you’re stuck waiting around until the oven finally reaches the right temperature.
Always start this recipe by preheating the oven before you prep ingredients and cookware. This lets the oven heat up to the desired temperature by the time you’re ready to pop the recipe in to cook. No waiting around and twiddling your thumbs!
2. Substitute Potatoes for Frozen Fries
While our recipe calls for russet potatoes, you can always use frozen fries.
Opting to substitute frozen fries eliminates the step of preparing the potatoes, reduces clean up time, and is still delicious!
However, frozen fries will require a bit longer in the oven, so plan accordingly! We’ll show you how to make this recipe adjustment in just a bit.
3. Adjust the Crispiness Factor
Some people prefer floppy fries while others love the satisfying crunch of ultra-crispy fries. No matter what your crispiness preference is, you can alter our recipe to achieve it.
- If you’re a fan of super crispy fries, leave the fries in the oven for a little bit longer. Or, to speed up the process, put the oven on broil for a minute or two right at the end.
- And floppy fries are easy to make, too. Simply keep an eye on the oven and remove the fries around 15 minutes or when your perfect fry flop is achieved.
4. Always Have Dipping Sauces
No one eats plain fries. If you do, we beg you to step outside of your comfort zone and sample some dipping sauces.
Dipping sauces elevate the fry tasting experience from mediocre to mind-blowing. We’re firm believers that no one should ever settle for dry, bland food—even fries.
The best dipping sauces for crispy BBQ fries include:
- More BBQ sauce (We happen to know a really great BBQ sauce…)
- Sour cream
- Ranch dressing
- Blue cheese dressing
- Honey mustard
- Buffalo sauce
The list goes on and on.
Get creative and develop your own homemade dipping sauce, too!
Delicious Entrees that Pair Wonderfully with BBQ Fries
Almost anything at a cookout pairs perfectly with fries. But, crispy BBQ fries are a whole other ball game. These fries are far superior to boring, lightly salted potato sticks. They deserve to be paired with only the best entrees!
Try pairing your BBQ fries with these three mouth-watering entrees.
Anything Off the Grill
Seriously, anything off the grill.
With those crisp grill lines and smoky, hickory aromas, everything from BBQ chicken to hamburgers will be complemented by BBQ fries.
Consider grilling entrees like burgers, wings, salmon, or veggie burgers to pair with your BBQ fries.
The Fries ARE the Entree
We know it might sound a little crazy, but hear us out. What if the BBQ fries were the entree?
If you get creative and top your fries with protein like pulled pork, grilled veggies, and drizzled Redneck Lipstick BBQ sauce, you’ve got yourself an entire meal. Grab a fork, a lot of napkins, and chow down!
Best of all, you can top your BBQ fries with almost anything. Make yourself a savory BBQ fry meals with ground beef and cheddar cheese. Or, opt for a vegetarian/vegan option with seasoned tofu, veggies, and more. The choice is yours!
Sandwiches and Wraps
For those who prefer a lighter meal, add crispy BBQ fries as a delightful side to any sandwich or wrap.
Our personal favorites include a roasted turkey sandwich, buffalo chicken wrap, or a veggie wrap! The sky’s the limit.
Personalize Your BBQ Fries: Go Crazy, My Friend
Our recipe is only a starting point. The recipe is the car and you’re the driver.
You can live out your wildest BBQ dreams and customize your crispy fries however you want. We recommend adding ingredients like:
- Melted cheddar cheese
- Pulled pork
- Bacon bits
- Crumbled BBQ tofu
- Chopped onions
If you plan on making this recipe for a party, consider putting together a BBQ fries bar! Put out bowls of sauces, toppings, veggies, and seasonings and let guests create their own fry masterpiece.
How to Make Crispy BBQ Fries in 20 Minutes
Ready to start cooking? You’ll need to gather the following ingredients:
- 2 pounds of russet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges*
- 1 cup Redneck Lipstick barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
*Can substitute with frozen fries.
- Preheat the oven to 425℉.
- Line two baking sheets with tin foil and spritz a light layer of cooking spray to grease.
- Combine BBQ sauce, pepper, garlic powder, and olive oil in a separate large bowl. Whisk until incorporated.
- Add sliced potatoes to the bowl and toss until all potatoes are covered in the sauce.*
- Spread potatoes out on both baking sheets and spread into a single layer.
- Add any additional ingredients your heart desires.
- Cook for 20 minutes (or more if you’re a fan of crispy fries!)
- Remove once golden brown or desired crispiness is achieved and top with a pinch of salt, more BBQ sauce, and other custom ingredients.
Let the fries cool for a few minutes and enjoy!
*If using frozen fries, cook the fries for 5-6 minutes first. Remove from the oven and let the fries cool slightly before covering with sauce and resuming the recipe.
You Can’t Make Kick-Ass BBQ Fries Without Kick-Ass BBQ Sauce
Even if you don’t have 20 minutes to make your own crispy BBQ fries at home, you can transform boring plain fries into mind-blowing BBQ fries in seconds with Redneck Lipstick BBQ Sauce.
It’s like your personal redneck in a bottle—always ready to turn a good time into a memorable time (and not about to put up with sub-par BBQ).
That’s why we always carry a bottle with us. You never know when you’ll encounter bland fries, steak, chicken wings, veggies, potatoes… (you see where we’re going with this, right?)
Squeeze some smoky-sweet BBQ sauce onto your fries and voila! You’ve instantly upgraded your side dish or meal.